Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Wishcasting Wednesday




What do you wish to begin?

I can't believe it's Wednesday again already. And September! My head is spinning.

I love Jamie's question this week. Most of my blogger friends and I all share a similar trait - we all have ideas - for projects and adventures and creating and writing and - well the list just never ends! And it's hard to find time to do everything. In fact, sometimes our creative juices are flowing so quickly and in so many different directions that it's overwhelming, and it's hard to just slow down enough to even begin one thing!

I am inspired everyday by what I see in the blogs I read. So much gorgeousness! In words, and sewing, and painting, and poetry, and photographs. And I want to try everything.

I've been wanting, probably since I started blogging, to improve my skills in photography. I would love to feel comfortable calling myself a photographer. But I only "take pictures," I am not a "photographer." I've dug out the book for my camera (just a little Sony), and even picked up a book or two at the bookstore. I've played with the settings on my camera (and then got them so out of whack that a bunch of pictures didn't turn out). And I've even considered changing my "Paris Fund" to the "Camera Fund" (but I'm not quite there yet).

I know that experimentation and practice are a big part of perfecting any skill or hobby. And I've been working on that. A little. But I wish to really begin.

Strangely enough (more like magically enough), I began a little this morning, before I even knew what today's prompt was. I was leaving the house to go to work. I'd backed my car out of the garage and was sitting waiting for the garage door to finish closing. I glanced over to the east and gasped. The sunrise was spectacular. I thought, "Wow! I wish I had my camera. That could be such a fantastic photo." I went ahead and backed out into the street, but turned one more time to look at the sun peeking out from behind a cloud.

That was it. I put the car in drive, pulled back into the driveway, raised the garage door and ran back into the house for my camera. I realized that this moment was passing quickly and that the sun would never sparkle from behind a cloud in just this way again.



This is not a perfect photo, but it is a beginning. The beginning of a new day, and the beginning of a new learning experience.

To beginnings,

p.s. Please follow the link above to Jamie's website to visit other Wishcasters.

18 comments:

  1. Oh!!!! Hooray for you for going back and getting that camera. And, hooray for us that you shared it with us.

    As Janet wishes for herself, so I lovingly and with intention wish for her also!

    Here's the the next image captured!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. As Janet wishes for herself, so I wish for her also!

    Let's all begin together!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. As Janet wishes for herself, so I wish for her also. Great photo, so glad you were moved to go back and get your camera..

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay Janet! Glad you went back for your camera as well - that is a GORGEOUS shot!

    As Janet wishes for herself, so I also wish for Janet.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Janet, you just learned the first "real photographer" rule: always have your camera with you! The sunrise is, indeed, spectacular and I'm so glad you went back in for your camera (though now I'm wondering what the devil time you leave in the morning!)

    As Janet wishes for herself, so I wish for her as well.

    ReplyDelete
  6. janet-beautiful photo--lovely beginning

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your photo is beautiful! and you are a photographer.

    ReplyDelete
  8. How great to capture the moment. Don't worry about being a photographer. Keep "taking pictures" and you'll be a photographer.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey Janet,

    A "sunrise" photo to mark the beginning of your new love affair with photography! That's symbolic of what's to come. Take a chance every day with your camera.

    Giulietta the Muse

    ReplyDelete
  10. As Janet wishes for herself, so I wish for her also.

    What a gorgeous beginning!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh Janet, I wish for you exactly what you want...you are a photographer...you don't "just take pictures". You are what you believe you are and I wish for you that you begin to call yourself a photographer!!

    By the way, that is an amazing photograph!

    ReplyDelete
  12. SO TRUE! Let's here it for beginnings, eh? :) Also, extraordinarily glad you pulled back in to grab that camera... very beautiful!

    As Janet wishes for herself, so too do I wish for Janet!
    ~Shamsi

    ReplyDelete
  13. As Janet wishes for herself, so I wish for her also.

    ReplyDelete
  14. The sunrise is perfect as is...! Thanks for sharing it with us and how appropriate that it's a sunrise as you begin anew with this artform.
    I too have so many doubts about my photography skills but have actually seen improvements. It's just a matter of keeping on and on and on... oh yeah, and following instructions. lol.

    I wish you to have what you wish for, Janet.
    Candace in Athens.

    ReplyDelete
  15. To beginnings!
    And that my friend is a stunning photo, glad you decided to seize the moment.

    ReplyDelete
  16. As Janet wishes for herself, so do I wish for Janet!! Lovely photo! I'm loving some of your other lovely works of art on your blog as well.... cool stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Back in 2005, after a painful divorce, I picked up my camera for the first time in years. It was like finding a new best friend. I did nothing but self-portraits for a year. Then I moved on to barns and then food photos. Take your camera everywhere with you and soon, you'll feel very confident! As you wish for yourself, I wish for you also!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Beautiful sunrise. Energized your wish already:)

    As Janet wishes for herself, so do I wish for Janet!

    ReplyDelete

What's on your mind? Please share!