Saturday, May 23, 2009

Simple Pleasures

My goal for the day today had been to do absolutely nothing. And yay for me! I have pretty much met with success. That would normally be a difficult thing for me; I am a high energy person who customarily feels guilty for indulging in a day's worth of downtime. But I have been practicing and I'm happy to say I'm getting much better at it. (I have some theories on from where the guilt comes, but that's for another day.)

We had our coffee this morning, and it was actually cool enough outside to sit on the patio for a while. I read a lot of blogs over cup number two. I bought my plane tickets to visit my son on the east coast in a few weeks (now that was something I had to do, but totally worth it).

For lunch today, we enjoyed what's becoming one of our favorite summertime snacks - a spin on a Mexican fruit salad containing jicama, cucumber, oranges, and melons. A variety of fruits or vegetables can be used, but the finishing touch is a squeeze of lime juice and a sprinkling of chile con limon - a mixture of salt, spices, chili powder, dehydrated lemon, lemon peel, and lemon juice. I happened to have a pineapple and a cucumber that needed to be eaten, and I cut them up. My twist on the salad is mixing in some Splenda (or sugar) with the chile con limon. It's good on so many things, and I even keep a small shaker jar in my desk at work.

I put out a jar of sun tea this afternoon (Numi Dry Desert Lime - totally scrumptious), and we had cold shrimp and cocktail sauce for dinner while sitting on the couch watching a movie. I did manage to sneak in a load of laundry, a little reading, and a nap. And I'm thinking tonight I may yet get in a little more reading, and maybe some ice cream.

I hope you take the time to enjoy some simple pleasures this weekend!

2 comments:

  1. Mmm, that sounds like a slow and lazy day, pretty much like mine yesterday, my boys are away with grandma this weekend, so I can actually sit down and be lazy for a bit.
    Don't you just love it, but I'm already getting antsy today, miss my boys :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. sounds like the best kind of weekend.

    i wonder if our sun gets intense enough to make sun tea. if it comes out in the middle of the day ever again, i'll have to see. :-)

    ReplyDelete

What's on your mind? Please share!