Sunday, May 10, 2009

The "Weekbetween"



Another weekend is winding down. And a pretty good one it was, with a fair balance of productivity and pleasantness. There was the feeling of satisfaction from chores accomplished. There was good food and time spent with family. There were naps. There was time outdoors.

And although I’d prefer that tomorrow would be just another Sunday and did not necessitate the return to work, I want to reflect for a moment on this concept of the “weekend.”

We say we’re “working for the weekend,” we “can’t wait for the weekend,” “only three more days until the weekend!” But what about the time in between? Isn’t every other day of the week worth as much as Friday? Shouldn’t we wake up every day with the same enthusiasm as we do on Saturday?

I’m just as guilty as anyone else - I mark the days off my calendar to hurry to get to Friday. But lately I’ve become more aware that this is my life going by. I rush through the week to get to Saturday, but that’s a week of my life that’s now behind me. There aren’t any do overs and I don’t get it back. It’s just gone. Period. And that’s starting to bother me.

I’m going to try to shift my focus to the “weekbetween.” I really must try to do something meaningful each day, to experience something memorable at every opportunity, to notice the beauty that can be found pretty much anywhere I look for it. It doesn’t have to be anything big. I saw a single yellow butterfly in the backyard a couple days ago. And it’s late in the year already for butterflies here in the desert. It was beautiful in a simple way, and it made that moment special.

I know there are probably a lot of special moments that I’m missing. But I’m going to pay more attention. It won’t be easy. But it’ll be worth it.

Have a good weekbetween!

4 comments:

  1. Good observation! I suppose one's attitude about the weekend depends on what they do on the weekbetween. If they are prisoners of a job M-F then the weekend is an escape. I lived that life once. Now I wake up everday ready to play.

    ReplyDelete
  2. janet, thanks for stopping by my blog! i love your pages. the pictures are so gorgeous! peace! kel.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Janet--

    you have the right attitude!! Great blog and shot of the canyon--I will be back--best C

    ReplyDelete
  4. So very true! I'm going to try and pay more attention to what I enjoy during the weekbetween!

    ReplyDelete

What's on your mind? Please share!